1) 79-year-old Liebeck was hospitalized for 8 days, suffered third-degree burns to her pelvic region, followed by two years of medical treatment.
2) Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald’s for $20,000.
3) The trial judge reduced the award to $640,000, and the parties settled for a confidential amount.
4) McDonald’s admitted at trial that its coffee was “not fit for consumption” immediately after sold at 180 to 190 degrees Farenheit.
5) Coffee served at 180-190 degrees Farenheit will cause third-degree burns in 2-3 seconds
A 2011 documentary titled “Hot Coffee” explored the plaintiff perspective and misinformation about the case.